Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Superman/Wonder Woman Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and the 10th Anniversary of The Walking Dead (New Comic Day)

It’s another big week of comics, nerds and geekettes.  DC has began a new Forever Evil tie-in series in the form of Arkham War, I imagine you can guess where in the greater DCU that focuses. 

Also starting this week is DC’s new ongoing mash-up title Superman/Wonder Woman which features a wonderful trifold cover by Tony S. Daniels (pencils), Batt (inks) and Tomeu Morey (colors).  The cover’s central image of the titular heroes is a little weak but the surrounding imagery of their supporting characters and villains is awe-worthy.  However, the interior art by the same art team is weaker even than the worst elements of the cover.  Flipping through the book before reading it, I thought I liked the art, but as I read I realized I didn’t.  The story itself – by Charles Soule – I initially didn’t like but it grew on me as I went – I actually stopped reading about 6 pages in but picked it back up later in the day and gave it a second chance – which it proved it deserved.  I’m still not behind the Superman/Wonder Woman romantic relationship – I’m squarely behind the classic Lois and Clark relationship in the present and like the SM/WW relationships to be in set in the future stories – nor am I sure we needed a Superman/Wonder Woman team-up title.  But for what it is, it’s good. 

Finally, from DC this week, we have Astro City #5 and Batman # 24 (which is part of Batman Year Zero).  Batman is a little longer than usual but not really enough to justify the 7.99 price tag DC has on it – I might have been a little more forgiving on a giant-sized 25th issue, but 24th seems like they are just money grabbing. 

Fans of AMC’s The Walking Dead TV series or of the comic that spawned it, might want to pick up some of its 10th Anniversary issues – including a special feature featuring The Walking Dead 10th Anniversary Edition of issue 1 and Tyreese Special 1. 

Over at Marvel comics, a comic adaptation of the Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. cartoon series started up this week featuring typical cartoon-turned-comic art (alas only a 4 issue mini-series).

Also hitting the stands this week is my all time favorite Dark Horse character X, with issue 6 of his new eponymous title, which is much more promising than last week’s Catalyst Comics. 

Finally, Zenescope’s Grimm Fairy Tales line has several issues out this week, notably Halloween Special 2013 and – just in time to coincide with ABC’s Once Upon a Time spinoff Once Upon a Time in Wonderland – a new 5-issue Alice-inspired mini-series Wonderland Through the Looking-Glass

Let us know what you’re reading in the comments or on twitter @nerdisnewcool. 

Until next time,


Nerd Is The New Cool, signing off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment