Friday, July 26, 2013

Nerdy Top Tens: #FF [Hashtag Follow Friday]

Hello, everyone and welcome to a special crossover edition with my twitter.  For those of you who are on twitter, you know that today – as this time every week – is Follow Friday.

Those of you who are not on twitter are likely asking, “What the hell is that?”  Good question.  Follow Friday is the tradition of tweeting one or more twitter feeds that you recommend for your follower to follow. 

Now, I usually try to post one or two #FFs a week… Ok, stop we should back up and establish some nomenclature. 

            Basic Twitter Glossary
Tweet – a short 140 character or less “microblog” entry.  Similar to a “status update” on Facebook.  For contextual aid, this definition is 160 characters long.

# Hashtag – the subject or subjects of a tweet.  It is a word(s) that are “tagged” to make it easier for someone interested in them to search for them or cross-reference them with other tweets.  Ex: if this had been a tweet, I might have ended it with #TwitterGlossary

There are lots more terms you need to know but for the sake of brevity you can check out this article for some of the more important ones: http://sproutsocial.com/insights/2011/03/twitter-term-definitions/

            And now back to what we were actually talking about!
As I was saying, I usually try to post one or two #FFs every Friday – though I have missed a lot of Fridays.  But this week instead of posting a traditional #FF tweet, I’m preempting our regular programming here on Nerd Is the New Cool and posting a longer Nerdy Top Ten length #FF

Rather than a Countdown or Countup, I am doing them in no particular order. 

Nerdy Top Tens and @NerdIsNewCool Present
The Top Ten Twitter @s to Follow

Vsauce (@tweetsauce) This is your typical Stuff Is Neat/Science Show twitter feed.  Michael, the main man of the Vsauce empire, is also the host of the Vsauce channel over on youtube, where he gives quirky little science/philosophy lessons to views every week.  The @tweetsauce feed is more of the same, but in under 140 characters.  Plus, he does corny math/science jokes.  So there’s that, too.  Also, if you’ve read my blog “Top Ten Nerd Crushes” (warning banned in over 200 countries), then you know I’ve got something of a guy crush on Vsauce/Michael.  It’s the voice, it’s just so soothing.

Typical @tweetsauce tweets: “mammals come in almost every color…EXCEPT GREEN” and “If I help an astrologer divide the area of large salt-water bodies by r-squared does that make me a Pi-seas?”

Danica McKellar (@danicamckellar) Sorta kinda similar to Vsauce – but more math than science and with slightly better credentials…what’s your Erdos-Bacon Number, Michael? – but with a lot of ex-child star turned well rounded adult (#MythicalCreature?) type “my life” stuff.  Danica describes her tweeter as “Acting, Math, Yoga & Mommyhood! … and occasional random thoughts from deep inside my brain” plus on Thursdays she plays the #Palindrome game.  And oh look, I managed to make it all the way through without accidentally calling her “Winnie” once.

Typical @danicamckellar tweet: “Clue: Possible headline if Marilyn Monroe encountered some rodents. (3 wds) #NameThatPalindrome”

Nathan Fillion (@NathanFillion) Big fancy TV star really just a nerdy fanboy type.  Be he in your mind as Castle or Captain Mal or Captain Hammer or Green Lantern (suck it, Reynolds), Nathan Fillion is a fanboy’s fanboy.  Hilariously funny in his self-deprecatingly cocky “I’m-all-that” way, his feed is full of humorous quips and one-liners, usually in response to something someone tweeted @ him.

Typical @NathanFillion tweets: “Nerd HQ Haiku  So very geeked out. / How do I sleep after that? / A Game of Doctor Thrones Who.  Nailed it.” and “Must…focus on…tweeting. Too…excited… for …Comic Con.”   

Wil Wheaton (@wilw) Some odd collection of famous person/beer/nerd/crazy person tweets with a significant amount of “That’s What My Dog Said” to round it out.  You might recognize Wil from Eureka or Big Bang Theory or any one of his many things…but let’s face it, you either think he’s Wesley Crusher or Gordie Lachance. 

Typical @wilw tweets: “Me: You’re too big for the cat bed. Marlowe: IF I FITS I SITS. Me: But you don’t fits. Marlowe: IMAPUPPEH!” and “According to my email, I won a lot of foreign lotteries while I was at comicon.”

Anne Wheaton (@AnneWheaton) Wil Wheaton’s wife.  Because she’s better than him in every way.  Suck it, Wheaton.  Also, and more importantly #vandaleyes

Typical @AnneWheaton tweet:

 

Joss Whedon (@josswhedon) Some guy, you’ve probably never heard of.  I think he describes himself best “Ladies man, man’s man, man about town… Java man, Isle of Man, Mandroid, Man Who Would Be King Ralph, girly man.” His twitter is mostly random WTF!? type stuff.  Wait…you do know who Joss Whedon is right? 

Typical @josswhedon tweets: “A fun thing to do on twitter is stop” and “ALWAYS QUSTION AUTHORITY! ‘Authority, may I use the restroom? No? Okay. Sorry.’”

Katrina Hill (@ActionChick) One of my all-time favorite tweeps.  Probably the most important reason she’s on this list is because of her infrequent #twittertip tweets. 

Typical @ActionChick tweets: “#twittertip #1: INTERACT! Also #1 Don’t be a tool unto others” and “*checks ammo, eyes the shadows*)

Drea (@ArkhamAsylumDoc) A real world psychologist, she made her bones studying the psychology of cosplay and fandom.  Also, she’s Batgirl’s shrink…no really. 

Typical @ArkhamAsylumDoc tweets: “I asked my dad if he saw Man of Steel.  He said yes we talked about it.  Halfway into the convo I realize he’s talking about Iron Man 3” and “I’d like to keep procrastinating by watching Beastmaster 2.  Apparently he travels to a future world called Los Angeles.”

Adrianne Curry (@AdrianneCurry) Ok, we all have that one person on twitter we usually don’t like to admit we follow.  I am very proud that Adrianne Curry is mine.  I’ll admit I follow her for the hot – yet often nerdy – twitpics and weird retweets as much as anything.  Warning: feed is sometimes risqué if not NSFW.

Typical @AdrianneCurry tweets:


And


Allison Scagliotti (@allisonscag) because #allisonscag4cassie that’s why!  That’s not the only reason why (love ya, Scags) but really, that’s enough. 

That’s my Ten, but now I wanna know your #FF pics.  Leave a comment below or @ me on twitter: @nerdisnewcool.

Also, some housekeeping.  There will be no new Five Dollar Bin today – you got this, don’t be greedy – nor will there be a new Nerdy Top Tens on Sunday.  I will be back on my regular posting schedule of Wednesday, Friday, Sunday – but really just whenever I feel like it – next week, so see you then.  I may even get around to a This Nerds Life on Monday but no promises there. 

Until next time,


Nerd Is the New Cool, signing off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment