Thursday, August 1, 2013

New Comic Day (Late): Captain Midnight 1

Captain Midnight 1 was recommended to me by the clerk at a local comic shop.  It’s a beautiful piece and it did manage to get me involved with the story.  But that was as far as it went.  I remember there being parts of it that I liked and parts that I didn’t but they are gone now.  In a moment I’ll start flipping through it to find some points to reference, but for now, I can’t remember much that redeems or condemns it, and that alone is after something to condemn it.

The title suffers from all the things that make a modern comic good and all the things that make one bad.  I’m sure that if I’d read the other issues (don’t let the big #1 on the cover fool you, this is far from the beginning of the story.  A recently released issue 0 reprints Captain Midnight’s previous appearances, but I haven’t read it), the complex and largely unexplained back story would make more sense, but as I haven’t there are several gaps in my understanding of things.  Now don’t over read that last bit, I was able to follow the story for what it was, but this isn’t what I’d call a great jumping on point.  Not a big seller for a first issue (again, had a known about issue 0 before things might have been different, so we’ll give that one a slide). 

The hero suffers from Post-Watchmen syndrome.  He is human.  Something I expect my superheroes to be more than.  For example, in the opening WWII-era sequence, Captain Midnight’s actions put a villain in danger.  And Midnight, stands back and lets him die, saying “this isn’t what I wanted…but I wasn’t going to risk my life for a criminal like him.” Can you imagine Spider-Man or Superman saying that? 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll give Watchmen its due.  It’s a great comic.  So are The Dark Knight Returns and a dozen others of their ilk.  And the modern Hero can be dark and violent.  Wolverine is a wonderful example.  Dark Horse, in fact, has done it very well with several of their characters.  X and Ghost stand out as fine examples to me.  But looking at this comic, I wasn’t expecting gruff and violent.  And maybe that is Joshua Williamson and Fernando Dagnino’s point: a juxtaposed look at the “bright shinny hero” behaving like the dark and mysterious.  A real world guy.  But I ask you do we need another real world guy in comics?  Watchmen, Frank Miller’s Batverse and Sin City, Comics Greatest World, Ultimate Marvel, Astro City (which I openly admit to loving)… What does Captain Midnight add to the genre that these books don’t already fulfill? 

Too many comics nowadays are either staring “heroes” no better than the villains (many worse than the villains of the sixties and seventies.  A good example of this, as pointed out recently to me by my good friend RA Jones, is Henry Pym, a hero, who – among other things – stuck his wife while suffering a mental breakdown; something the character has yet to live down over thirty years later).  I ask again, do we need another violent hero? 

But enough of the bad, what about the good? 

As I said before, the book is beautiful.  The cover art is just that, Art.  The interiors are standard quality, on par with most everything coming out of Marvel and DC, maybe even better than most, though far from the best I’ve seen in the last few years. 

The supporting characters (and villains) stand out more to me than the titular hero (perhaps because he was only on 8 of the 22 pages and on two of those only barely).  The first up is 1940s villain Ivan Shark, he is a very standard Nazi villain, reminiscent of the Red Skull, Vandal Savage, and their kind, but while he is something of a standard baddie, he is well executed and his disappearance from the story is felt.  But the emergence of true big bad Fury Shark shows much promise; she had less screen time than Midnight (four pages) but is far more interesting and memorable.  Finally, Montoya…I mean, Maj. Charlotte Ryan is the standard tough as nails cop soldier.  Charlotte was by far the star of the issue (with 14 pages) and is shaping up to be the reader’s loyal (the character their allegiance is firmly placed with). 

Rounding out the cast are Joyce Ryan (Charlotte’s grandmother) who was one of Midnight’s sidekicks in the 40s, Agent Jones and Officer Rick Marshall (Marshall is Charlotte’s ex-husband) the two main government agents on Midnights trail, and several of Fury Shark’s lackies who could rise to more prominence or simply disappear. 

Overall, the art – especially at its grandest moments such as Charlotte’s rock climbing scene and the establishing shots of Secret Squadron HQ and the Nazi base at the North Pole – coupled with a somewhat gripping story and a few standout characters, isn’t enough to save the book for me.  Much like a lot of creator owned comics from the 90s, this book is a mediocre story in beautiful packaging. 

2.5/5 stars.                   Average Jumping on Point                  Unrated but Violent


Until next time, Nerd is the New Cool, signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment