Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Batman Year Zero, Ultimate Cataclysm and Christmas Comics Already!? (New Comic Day)

Archie Comics released two titles today - Archie Double Digest 245 and Betty & Veronica Double Digest 217 – which are both already Christmas Issues

Dark Horse is still publishing the travesty that is Catalyst Comix (issue 5 hit stands today).  Also from DH is Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight 2 – normally I wouldn’t praise this poor quality of art, but it definitely adds a raw Grindhouse feel to the title so it’s working for me.  Finally from DH, we have The Star Wars 3 continuing the adaptation of George Lucas’s original rough-draft screenplay. 

At DC, Batman Year Zero month is in full swing with Batman 25, Detective Comics 25, Batwing 25, Green Arrow 25, and Action Comics 25 all crossing into the storyline which as a whole is putting me off – though some of the art is top notch.  Also at DC, the ongoing mini-series Forever Evil has its third issue today – but I have given up on that story myself. 

Dynamite graces us with the third issue of its six issue mini-series Army of Darkness Vs Hack/Slash – presenting me with an excuse to mention that #AllisonScags4Cassie Your Argument is Invalid! Also on shelves we have Lords of Mars 4 (of 6) – a stunning Alex Ross cover that makes me question the need for the variant covers also released – Vampirella 36, and Gail Simone’s Legends of Red Sonja 1 (of 5) – featuring both a beautiful regular cover and a classic Marvel throwback variant. 

The Starbase 21 Pick of the Week is Marvel’s Cataclysm The Ultimates’ Last Stand 1 part of the November Ultimate Universe crossover featuring Galactus. Also gracing shelves from The House of Ideas this month are Fantomex MAX 2 (of 4) – which I almost picked up but was able to resist – Painkiller Jane: The Price of Freedom 1 (of 4)

Finally, Zenescope – which is always at least good for a cover if not always the stories inside gives us Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Wonderland Through the Looking Glass 2 (of 5) – I recommend Cover B by Ivan Nunes featuring the Queen of Spades – and Tyler Kirkham’s Screwed 6 (of 6).   

I’m changing up the way I do New Comic Day from now on.  As you see I’ve given a very brief highlight of some of the top comics and a few underdogs that are our this week, but no Feature Issue review like I’ve done in the past.  But come back tomorrow for our indepth review of Painkiller Jane: The Price of Freedom 1. 

Until then, let me know what you’re picking up this week in the comments or on our facebook page or twitter @nerdisnewcool – and be sure to like and follow to let us know you like what you’re seeing here at Nerd Is The New Cool. 


Nerd Is The New Cool, signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment