Wednesday, September 25, 2013

New Comic Day Special DC’s Villain Month Edition

To be honest, I’m not sure exactly what to put here, or at least how to start.  The problem is, this last month DC has been doing what DC and Marvel do best:  a companywide money-grabbing no real point crossover event.  Every title in DC’s New 52 line has been preempted by Villain Month, in which instead of, for example, Batman 23 we get The Joker #1, The Riddler #1, Penguin #1, and Bane #1.  Actually, that’s not exactly correct either.  They are actually The Joker #1 23.1 and The Riddler #1 23.2 … you get the idea. 

This is all kicked off by Forever Evil 1, the first in a 7 issue limited series.  The issue establishes the Crime Syndicate (Earth-3’s villainous alternate versions of the Justice League of America) as the crossover’s main antagonists and sets up Lex Luthor (yes, that Lex Luthor) as a protagonist. 

For a companywide crossover mini-series, the story here is top notch and very acceptable (an acceptable version of an unacceptable thing?).  Luthor remains true to his villainous self while displaying pathos and working as the issues protagonist.  The issues other protagonist, however, an actual hero this time in the form of Nightwing (Richard Grayson, the former Robin, for the uninitiated among us) takes a firm second fiddle to Luthor and in many ways seems a pale imitation to the characters usual portrayal. 

The art in Forever Evil, provided by penciller David Finch and inker Richard Friend, is among the best I’ve seen in the crossover, but the centerpiece a four page wide single panel depicting dozens of DC’s top villains is uninspired and such a letdown as to have been a waste of space in the book.  What should have been a poster worthy entry would have been served just as well by taking up at most (and I’m being generous here) a two page spread.  It is so far beneath the quality level of the rest of the issue as to be jarring, taking me out of the wonder it should have impressed upon me. 

Other week one titles, where to me, largely a waste of paper.  I leafed through several, including The Joker, a title that left me with a bad taste in my mouth and my money still firmly in my wallet.  The art in Joker, was by and large subpar – even in comparison to the above mentioned four page spread – and far undeserving of so pivotal a DC character.  The story itself was of such an awkward nature, that I couldn’t even bring myself to read more than the occasional snippet.   

I have not picked up Darkseid or Ventriloquist preventing me from giving an honest review of either, but I have heard the former was of an enjoyable read and the Gail Simone byline on the latter gives me hope for it. 

Week two presented few titles that caught my eye, of them I picked up Harley Quinn for no other reason than brand loyalty to a classic character of my youth – I did grow up on Batman: The Animated Series after all firmly planting both Quinn and Montoya in my list of favorite Batman characters.  Oh, but had I pasted this train wreck by.  The story – largely a sketchy and convoluted origin – was unimaginative at best.  Harley’s origin was confusing, primarily due to her somewhat unreliable narrator status, with the narrative of it sometimes at odds with the images but more often just not synced up with them, like a badly dubbed Godzilla movie.  Worst was the complete lack of any of the character’s customary psychotic pathos.  Like Hannibal Lector, one usually finds it hard to dislike Harley.  Even when killing people, Quinn is usually a fun yet tragic anti-heroine, never more than one more beating and betrayal by the Joker away from rehabilitation and a life of quiet solace for her past evils.  But always pulled back by a well timed kindness by her puddin’.  This Harley, however, while looking the part of the lost little girl, is presented as unredeemingly evil. The art on this issue’s cover, by Chris Burnham & Nathan Fairbairn, far outshines its interiors by the abysmal Neil Googe. 

Week three brought us several notable titles including Lex Luthor, which in retrospect I really should have picked up instead of the horrendous Eclipso, and The Cheetah, another book I didn’t pick up myself but have heard good things about. 

I have to admit, as much as I hate CWCOs (companywide crossovers), I kinda love CWCOs.  And Eclipso: The Darkness Within will always have a special place in my heart (right next to Marvel’s Infinity Gauntlet and Dark Horse’s not quite companywide Comic’s Greatest World).  Eclipso is among my favorite DC villains.  Over the years, I have forgave DC a lot when it comes to Eclipso: the ongoing series, cancelling the ongoing series, completely forgetting Bruce Gordon in later appearances, Jean Loring.  But this travesty, somehow written by the usually inspired Dan Didio and scribbled by Philip Tan and Jason Paz, is too much.  Bruce Gordon is back-ish.  He is apparently in the witness protection program though cause they’ve mostly changed his name to Gordon Jacobs, otherwise he’s still Bruce…love interest named Mona, solar energy expert, supporting character named Dr. Bennett.  DC appears to have just wanted to bring Gordon back but thought it would be too confusing what with Commish Gordon over in the Batman books.  That irks me.  Either create a new character or use the old one…don’t both while neither.  Add to that terrible art and a lame character redesign and we have the low point of my Villains Month experience. 

 Which brings us to week four, this week.  I had originally planned on grabbing Joker’s Daughter, but it vanished from shelves far too quickly (we’ll talk a bit about that down below in a moment), so instead I was left with Ocean Master.  Oddly, in a week that also included Doomsday, Bane, Killer Croc, and Sinistro, I pick up a book focusing on a character I care little about.  Perhaps this should have been my strategy the whole time. 

This issue, with so-so art by Geraldo Borges and Ruy Jose, was by far the best book I picked up all month.  The character was dark and cold, unmistakably a villain, yet he had the pathos Harley was lacking in her book.  The story was inspired.  It was maybe a little familiar (I’m thinking of the Silver Age Sub-Mariner over at Marvel as a classic example), but still remaining a worthy read in a sea of issues that seemed to be more interested in murdering trees and making money than they were ever interested in entertaining loyal readers and fans. 

Now back to that vanishing from the shelves thing.  As far as I can tell, as a whole, DC drastically under printed these issues.  While I was at my regular comic shop today, at least four sold out, not counting several that were already MIA when I arrived.  I visited another shop to try to pick up the afore mentioned Joker’s Daughter and not a single Villains Month issue was still to be had. I’ve been told the shops are also under stocked as well.  Perhaps this was simple under ordering on the shops’ part, but every shop in the city?  Or perhaps it is merely an accident on the publisher’s part.  But is that an excuse?  To under publish a minor villain would be one thing, but Bane? Joker’s Daughter? Darkseid?  Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I know of several people with pull lists who didn’t get issues they should have.  Anyway, moving on…

Perhaps this crossover’s biggest sin is the covers: 3D lenticular motion covers.  My main question is why?  The speculator boom of the 90s was full of foil covers, dicut covers, hologram covers, popup centerfolds, and a million other gimmicky wastes of time.  Why restart a trend that only caused its own bust, when collectors – in it for the gimmicks and the hope of turning a profit investing in comics the way you would invest in stocks – realized the new comics were never going to be worth the money old comics are. 

I can understand the business behind a CWCO, trying to get fans to pick up extra issues that month, but this kind of gimmick is insulting to fans – at least this fan – and is self-detrimental to future sales, in my humble opinion. 

But I’m just me.  I don’t speak for the whole world.  So I ask you, Fanboys, what do you think of the motion covers, of CWCOs in general and in Forever Evil/Villains Month in particular? 

Feel free to give me your humble opinion, or even hit your caps lock and yell at me, in the comments below or on my twitter @nerdisnewcool

Until next time,


Nerd Is The New Cool, signing off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment