Saturday, November 24, 2012

Countdown to Christmas

It's that time again...Christmas...

Aw... I can see it now... the tree, the decorations (if we ever make it to pull them out of storage).  Snowflakes falling outside (except I live in Oklahoma where it doesn't snow at Christmastime). A fire burning in the hearth (I hope, it's our first winter in the new apartment which does have a fireplace, so lets hope it works!).

The crazy Black Friday shopping (we went out this morning and it wasn't actually that bad, Best Buy was definitely the worst of the places we went - Game Exchange, Hastings, PetCo, Big Lots, Atwood's being the others), the cooking (mmm....Roast Beast), the presents.

But the best part of this time of year is Christmas music.  I love it, whether it's the light fun stuff like Have a Holly Jolly Christmas or heavier fare like The River (I'm especially fond of Robert Downy Jr.'s Ally McBeal rendition).

For more traditional songs, I like Silent Night and O Tannenbaum the best.  I was always fond of Little Drummer Boy while growing up.  I am also a fan of most of the old standards: Rudolf, Frosty, Winter Wonderland, and the like, but my favorite I'll Be Home for Christmas.  I'm not usually too held up by who sings any of these songs, but some are better than others.

Anyway, here is my Top 10 Favorite Christmas Songs:

10. Santa's Beard by The Beach Boys
9.   Belleau Wood by Garth Brooks
8.   Silver Bells - Bing Crosby
7.   Santa Baby by Madonna (I also really like the Ally McBeal version)
6.   We Wish You a Merry Christmas by John Denver and the Muppets
5.   The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) by Dave Seville and the Chipmunks
4.   I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by Gayla Peevey
3.   The Gift (The Nightingale Song/A Poor Orphan Girl Named Maria) by Aselin Debison
2.   Christmas Is Coming by John Denver and the Muppets
1.   Snoopy's Christmas (Christmas Bells) by The Royal Guardsmen

As you can see, I'm not going into a whole lot of detail on this one, just letting the songs stand for themselves.    I recommend going out and finding them for a good listen if you are into this kind of thing.

There have been a number of great Christmas albums both compilations and studio albums.  Now has a number of great Christmas collections out and the A Very Special Christmas series is also good.

But as for the Greatest Christmas Albums of All Time here are my Top 5:

5.  Christmas Portrait by The Carpenters
4.  Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey
3.  Christmas Through Your Eyes by Gloria Estefan
2.  The Beach Boys Christmas Album
1.  A Christmas Together by John Denver and the Muppets

So, there's my list.  And now I wanna know your's.  What is your favorite Christmas song (traditional or modern) or album?  What is your favorite part of the holidays?

Leave a comment below or hit me up on my twitter @NerdIsNewCool

In the meantime, Happy Holidays

Nerd Is the New Cool, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment